Home Organization Site Index History Obituaries News & Misc Scholarship
& Forms
Photo Galleries Contact Us Ranger Store

 

Rangers - WW II in Lorraine American Cemetery

Rangers who rest in the soils they liberated photos courtesy Honorary S&D, Franck Maurouard, France

 

The Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial in France covers 113.5 acres and contains the largest number of graves of our military dead of World War II in Europe, a total of 10,489. Their headstones are arranged in nine plots in a generally elliptical design extending over the beautiful rolling terrain of eastern Lorraine and culminating in a prominent overlook feature. Most of the dead here were killed while driving the German forces from the fortress city of Metz, France toward the Siegfried Line and the Rhine River. Initially, there were over 16,000 Americans interred in the St. Avold region in France, mostly from the U.S. Seventh Army's Infantry and Armored Divisions and its cavalry groups. St. Avold served as a vital communications center for the vast network of enemy defenses guarding the western border of the Third Reich.

The memorial, which stands on a plateau to the west of the burial area, contains ceramic operations maps with narratives and service flags. High on its exterior front wall is the large figure of St. Nabor, the martyred Roman soldier overlooking the silent host. On each side of the memorial, and parallel to its front, stretch the Tablets of the Missing on which are inscribed 444 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. The entire area is framed in woodland.

 

 


 

Filmer, Thomas 5 BN 03 December 1944
Labhart, Hoesli 5 BN 02 December 1944
Moody, Willie 5 BN 03 December 1944
Neuman, Edward 5 BN 02 December 1944
Paskill, Daniel 5 BN 09 December 1944
Pelkey, Paul 5 BN 03 December 1944
 Racette, Hubert 5 BN 19 February 1945
Rogers, Bernard 5 BN 06 June 1945
Samborowski, Leo 5 BN 03 December 1944
Seidel, Gerard 5 BN 03 December 1944
Sychak, Nick 5 BN 03 December 1944